How do we define Sales?

Daniel Pink’s Book,  To Sell is Human   explained that sales can be defined as ‘moving’ someone from one position to another in order to help them realise a benefit. 

With this definition, it’s not just 10% of the workforce that are in sales, but the remaining 90% are in sales and they don’t know it yet!

For a startup this definition can help you realise that success can be measured by more than just dollars coming into the business.

Although company revenue is the ultimate sign of business success, it often needs to be broken down into smaller wins. 

Booking a first meeting with a senior executive is an example of moving somebody or selling successfully. 

In large, strategic sales, you need to do a lot of ‘moving’ before the ink hits the paper.