Most first time startup founders have little sales experience.
A strategy I have not mentioned previously is increasing sales through aligning with suitable partners.
Big vendors can use you compliment and enhance their value to their customers.
You might need to surrender a few percentage points along the way, but you should make up for it by increased sales.
Good partners can have the following characteristics:
- They make between $100M and a Billion dollars per year.
- Manage long term customer relationships.
- Are well connected to big deals in the market.
- Their insider knowledge is very high.
Selling through a partner you need to remember:
- You will now manage at least two customer relationships, the partner and the end customer
- Be sensitive to the needs and preferences of your partner. Be careful to not do things that causes problems. If they say, don’t contact a particular executive, then don’t do it! I learnt that lesson the hard way a few years back.
- Their relationships are long term and built on strong trust. Do not take any action that breaches that trust. Be open to feedback so that you can improve.