When you have your sales meetings, you need to be in a relaxed mental state.
I have seen the following factors disrupt me in meetings:
- I am new and still feel uncomfortable with either the people around me or the content being covered.
- I allow stress to get a hold of me.
- I am relying on other technical experts in the room and this makes it difficult for me to provide a meaningful contribution .
Feeling stress and anxiety in a sales environment reduces our cognitive ability to that of a 12 year old. Even if we are a smart PHD our fear will cause us to stumble on our words and miss obvious social cues.
If anxiety is affecting you and your ability to sell here are some activities that help me:
- Write it down. Discover what the causes are and do something about it.
- Give it time and be patient with yourself. You will get better at this job. Reflect on your past successes.
- Talk about it with a trusted colleague.
- Bring humour into the conversation. Laugh 😂